A character is "knocked back" when they are thrown back and to the floor by the force of an attack.
- If a character has knockback resistance or protection, the knockback will be decreased or ignored based on the outcome of the formula.
- For a character to be knocked back, the final magnitude must be 1 or higher; under 1 will be turned into knockdown.
- Some enemies are resistant to knockback, and any knockback used against them will be turned into knockdown.
- Additionally, if the target is sufficiently high enough level, the Purple Patch will turn knockback into knockdown.
- Increasing knockback increases both the magnitude of KB and the resultant distance thrown.
- If a character is standing on the ground, they will be thrown back and must get up off the ground at the end of the KB. They cannot move or fire powers during the animation.
- If a character is flying, by any flight power (Hover, Rocket Pack, Group Fly, etc), they will flip in the air. The time necessary to wait through the animation for Flying knockback versus Grounded knockback is approximately half.
- NOTE: Hover used to provide complete knockback mitigation: you were capable of firing powers and moving around while the flip animation was going. This was a bug and was fixed in August 2008.
- Explosive Blast from Energy Blast.
- Power Thrust from Energy Manipulation.
- Force Bolt from Force Field.
- Most, but not all, Armor sets provide knockback protection and resistance.
- Acrobatics provides protection and resistance.
- There are Inspirations that provide protection, but not resistance.
- Increase Density provides protection, but not resistance.
- There are Invention Enhancements that provide protection, but not resistance.
- An Empowerment buff provides protection but not resistance.