Trial Accounts allow a player to take City of Heroes and/or City of Villains for a test run. They are free and last either 10 or 14 days, depending on the source of the Trial Account code. Up until Issue 12, a Trial Account was not limited in what it could do; as of Issue 12, there are several restrictions put in place. Most of these restrictions were placed due to tells and in-game email spam.
- Trial Accounts cannot email other players
- Trial Accounts may not level past 14 (just enough to get a travel power)
- Trial Accounts can only have 50k influence
- Trial Accounts may not join global channels
- Trial Accounts may not join a Supergroup
- Trial Accounts can only speak in
- Trial Accounts cannot invite players to team
- Trial Accounts may join teams, but not invite other players
- Trial Accounts may not join SuperGroups.
Trial Account codes are always available from the "Refer a Friend" option in a player's Master Account options. Each player may give out three of these at a time. They last ten days, and if the Trial Account is upgraded to a retail-code account, the person who originated the offer gets a month of free time added to the end of their subscription.
Trial Accounts are also available from box sets. They come on small pieces of paper with a code on it. These last 14 days and do not give a free month to the owner of the box set if the account is upgraded to a retail-code account.
An additional source is websites offering Trial Account codes. These typically last either 14 or 10 days, though vastly more often 14. They do not give a free month to anyone if the account is upgraded to a retail-code account.